Tourism Mont dore and surroundings
In order to make your stay as pleasant as possible, we provide you with a welcome booklet containing all the useful information on our establishment, as well as on the amenities and leisure activities in the area. Once opened on your device, our welcome booklet will remain accessible even offline. So, we invite you to consult it now on the following link:
Surroundings and Activities
(Photo DR : L. BRACHET)
Ideal location for exploring the region which offers a large number of unmissable sites, such as the Puy de Sancy (highest point of the Massif Central), from its 1886 m height you will be dazzled by the beauty of the landscape.
Impossible to leave without having seen Lac Pavin, it is one of the most beautiful lakes in Auvergne, the youngest, the deepest and the most mysterious.
Our volcanoes offer you a multitude of activities and leisure activities. Main activity in the summer, hiking, mountain biking or horseback riding, no less than 750 km of hiking trails for novices or experts. Relaxing by the lakes and rivers or summer tobogganing and zip lining, there is something for everyone! Discover Sancy by motorbike, whether you are alone, in a duo, or in a group, take advantage of our endless winding roads on a dream setting. Combine the pleasure of riding with the discovery of breathtaking sites and landscapes.
(Photo DR : OT SANCY)
In winter, 85 km of downhill ski runs are available to you thanks to the connection between the resorts of Mont-Dore and Super-Besse. But it is also no less than 250 km of cross-country ski trails and snowshoes. Skiing on a volcano is unique!
But for the less athletic, discover Sancy on dog sleds, in the Far North style or down the slopes fitted out for sledges.
Let’s not forget about well-being and letting go, volcanoes offer us ideal Thermal Waters for joint or respiratory ailments. In addition to 21-day medical cures, the Thermes du Mont-Dore offers fitness and well-being packages for the day, short stay or week. You will be able to fully enjoy the benefits of the waters combined with massages.
Some ideas for leisure activities, activities and visits …
We offer you here a non-exhaustive list of activities available in Sancy.
Do not hesitate to visit the tourist offices in the region for more complete documentation. Or ask for more details at reception.
1 – Heritage visits and discoveries
Geology and nature
- Themed hikes (Mont-Dore, Super-Besse and Murol)
- Chaudefour Nature Reserve (Chambon-sur-Lac)
- Fontaine Salée Nature Reserve (Chastreix)
- Cable cars (Mont-Dore and Super-Besse)
Traditions, history and heritage
- Capucin funicular (Mont-Dore)
- Economuseum (Murat-le-Quaire, Besse and Saint-Nectaire)
- Troglodyte sites and caves (Saint-Pierre-Colamine and Saint-Nectaire)
- Theatrical visits of the Virées du Sancy (several towns)
- Petrifying fountains (Saint-Nectaire)
- Castle (Murol)
- Guided tours of the towns (Mont-Dore, Bourboule, Murol and Besse)
- Visit to the thermal baths (Mont-Dore and Bourboule)
Arts and crafts
- Enamels on lava and Taillerie (Mont-Dore)
- Pottery (Besse and Saint-Sauves)
- Glassblower (La Bourboule)
- Galoshes and clogs workshop (Saint-Nectaire)
- Workshop-creator of jewelry (Mont-Dore, Murol and Besse)
Flavors and terroir
- Mielleries (Chambon-sur-Lac)
- Educational farms (Murat-le-Quaire and Saint-Nectaire)
- Confiturerie (Saint-Nectaire)
- Cheese dairy (Murol, Murat-le-Quaire, Chambon-sur-Lac, Saint-Nectaire, Besse, Picherande and Egliseneuve-d’Entraigues)